At The World’s 50 Best Restaurants on Tuesday, Peru’s capital city, and without a doubt its culinary capital, came in at No. 1 title and achieving more top-50 spots than any other city.
The 50 Best list included four Lima establishments: No. Central 1 Maido at Number No. 6: Kjolle 28 with Mayta ranking No. 47. This year, Kjolle is new to the top 50.
For the past 15 years, Central has provided fine dining with Peruvian ingredients and methods, led by Virgilio Martinez and Pa Léon. According to the 50 Best website, the restaurant “takes diners through 15 different Peruvian ecosystems, categorised by altitude – from 15 meters below the Pacific Ocean to 4,200 meters up in the Andes.” Léon runs Kjolle on his own.
Central is the first restaurant in South America to be named “World’s Best.”
The awards, which are regarded as the Oscars of global fine dining, were presented Tuesday evening at the City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia, Spain, a collection of futuristic spaces designed by Santiago Calatrava.
The remaining list
The host nation performed exceptionally well in this year’s awards, with six Spanish entries, including the world’s No. 2 Barcelona restaurant, Disfrutar. Spain also acquired Number 3 and No. 4 with Asador Etxebarri in Atxondo in the Basque region and Diverxo in Madrid.
Five restaurants from Italy and four from France made it into the top 50 in Europe, respectively. In Britain, London procured a noteworthy three openings.
The city to watch in Asia is Bangkok, where two new restaurants made the list, both breaking into the top 20: Le Du, Number Gaggan Anand at No. 15 17.
Two New York restaurants made it into the top 50 from the United States. No was taken by Atomix. 8 spots from the No. 33 opening, acquiring the Most elevated Climber grant as well as Best Eatery in North America. Chef Éric Ripert’s longtime favorite Le Bernardin also made the top 50 at No. 44.
The current year’s main 50 remembers cafés from 24 domains for five landmasses, with 12 eateries entering the rundown interestingly.
Restaurants can only win the top award once, after which they are entered into a separate “Best of the Best” competition. Geranium and Noma in Copenhagen, Eleven Madison Park in New York, The Fat Duck in London, Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy, and Mirazur in Menton, France, are among those in that select group. The following year, Central advances to the Best of the Best.
The 50 best restaurants in the world in 2023
1. Central (Lima, Peru) – Best Restaurant in South America
2. Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain) – Best Restaurant in Europe
3. Diverxo (Madrid, Spain)
4. Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo, Spain)
5. Alchemist (Copenhagen, Denmark)
6. Maido (Lima, Peru)
7. Lido 84 (Gardone Riviera, Italy)
8. Atomix (New York City) – Highest Climber, Best Restaurant in North America
9. Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
10. New: Table by Bruno Verjus (Paris, France) – Highest New Entry
11. New: Trèsind Studio (Dubai, UAE) – Best Restaurant in the Middle East and Africa
12. A Casa do Porco (São Paulo, Brazil)
13. Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
14. Odette (Singapore) – Best Restaurant in Asia and Chef’s Choice: Julien Royer
15. New: Le Du (Bangkok, Thailand)
16. Reale (Castel di Sangro, Italy)
17. New: Gaggan Anand (Bangkok, Thailand)
18. Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
19. Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
20. Quique Dacosta (Dénia, Spain)
21. Den (Tokyo, Japan)
22. Elkano (Getaria, Spain)
23. New: Kol (London, England)
24. Septime (Paris, France)
25. Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
26. Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
27. Florilège (Tokyo, Japan)
28. New: Kjolle (Lima, Peru)
29. Boragó (Santiago, Chile)
30. Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
31. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
32. Hiša Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
33. New: El Chato (Bogotá, Colombia)
34. Uliassi (Senigallia, Italy)
35. Ikoyi (London, England)
36. New: Plénitude (Paris, France)
37. New: Sézanne (Tokyo, Japan)
38. The Clove Club (London, England)
39. The Jane (Antwerp, Belgium)
40. Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
41. Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
42. Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
43. Leo (Bogotá, Colombia)
44. Le Bernardin (New York City)
45. Nobelhart & Schmutzig (Berlin, Germany)
46. New: Orfali Bros (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
47. Mayta (Lima, Peru)
48. New: La Grenouillère (La Madelaine-sous-Montreuil, France)
49. New: Rosetta (Mexico City)
50. The Chairman (Hong Kong)